People often ask me where to turn for information on Israel. Well, there is no shortage of great resources! My favorites cover the broad scope of Israeli culture and life, because guess what? Israel is more than just a story of conflict.
Here are a few must-read books:
Saving Israel: How the Jewish People Can Win a War That May Never End, Daniel Gordis: A riveting explanation of why Israel is necessary, how it has changed the existential condition of Jews worldwide, and what it must do in order to survive. Here is my interview with Dr. Gordis and also my review of the book.
At the Entrance to the Garden of Eden: A Jew's Search for Hope With Christians and Muslims in the Holy Land, Yossi Klein Halevi: Can religion be a source of unity? This is the question Halevi seeks to answer in his transcendent spiritual journey into the devotional life of his Muslim and Christian neighbors.
The Israelis: Ordinary People in an Extraordinary Land, Donna Rosenthal: Brings to vivid life the astonishing cultural diversity of the people who call themselves Israelis- the religious and secular, Jews from Europe, Jews from the Middle East, immigrants from Russia and Ethiopia, Christians, Muslims, Beduins, and Druze.
Like Dreamers: The Story of the Israeli Paratroopers Who Reunited Jerusalem and Divided a Nation, Yossi Klein Halevi: A gripping portrait of seven paratroopers of the brigade that restored Jewish sovereignty to Jerusalem in the Six Day War and the diverse roles they played in shaping modern Israel after the war. Here is my interview with the author.
The Case for Israel, Alan Dershowitz: The renowned attorney presents his case in a meticulously researched and annotated volume.
A Tale of Love and Darkness, Amos Oz: Among Israel's most acclaimed authors, Oz recounts his childhood in pre-state Jerusalem, a riveting story filled with humor, pathos, and unforgettable characters.
Skyline, Israel From Above, Duby Tal and Moni Haramati: Israel's geography, stunning and luminous, is captured in this book of breathtaking aerial photos.
Start-Up Nation, Dan Senor and Saul Singer: Explains the factors of culture that have enabled Israel to lead the world in innovation.
More great books:
- The Case for Peace by Alan Dershowitz
- The Idiots Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict by Mitchell Bard
- Prisoners: a Muslim and a Jew Across the Middle East Divide by Jeffrey Goldberg
- Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef
- Catch The Jew by Tuvia Tenenboim
- Myths and Facts: A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict by Mitchell Bard
News Websites (in English):
- HaAretz (Israeli newspaper that leans left)
- Jerusalem Post (Israeli newspaper that leans right)
- Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs Daily Alert
- Times of Israel
- The Tower Magazine
- Honest Reporting
- CAMERA (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America):
- Palestinian Media Watch
- MEMRI (Middle East Media Research Institute)
General Sources of Information: